Last trip - 2022
- Saba - land based - by ferry from St Marten - October 8-15, 2022 - $2.500, 11 dives, Breakfast and Dinner, tips and transportation. - We need a single female: Special bonus - we are holding a group ticket for that spot;
- Any additional divers: Please inquire with Chris or Nils - there are ways to offset the unexpected high airfare: go a day late; go a day early; add a day or two - if interested, please inquire...
Upcoming trips 2023:
- Damai 1, liveaboard, Mar 13-24, 2023 - Trip is full
- Damai 1, liveaboard, Mar 26-Apr 06, 2023 - Trip is full
- Little Cayman Beach Resort (first time in 4 years) - May 20-27, 2023 (this trip will be advertised at our October meeting)
Upcoming trips 2024:
- Solomon Islands: Bilikiki live aboard, New dates: July 23 - Aug 2, 2024
- We will start to look at extensions - as a group or individually - prior to the boat
- If interested, call Nils, or wait for the trip to be advertised again
Preliminary Fiji Trip report - Cayman, July 2022 - and Covid-19 update
28 people went to Compass Pointe, East End, Grand Cayman. Weather was good - but of course - got even better the day we left. Diving was great - expect to see the full collection of pictures - soon - on our club's photo-site. We liked the resort and staff and got to dive spots the club has not visited for a very long time.
Unfortunately our group - again - got caught up in Covid-19 infections. A total of 8 people got infected. Good news - only one person was quarantined and left behind for 4 extra days. The other 7 only tested positive after return to the US (it appears that the strain that hit us - was spreading slower than the one in Fiji). Nobody needed to be hospitalized. But symptoms were probably a little worse than Fiji.
In general "the world is getting tired of Covid-19" - the restrictions for travel worldwide are being reduced or eliminated (due to this sentiment; not due to medical reality): we did not have to pre-test to get into Cayman (testing requirement was cancelled 2 weeks before departure); the US no longer requires a pre-test to travel home [allowing everybody without strong symptoms to travel home uncontested - and test only back in their homes]. We are vigorously watching the developing requirements for Saba and Indonesia.
In general mandated protection - Masks and Distancing rules - are also being relaxed around the world.- anyway we have now proven twice that self protection is still recommended/desired and occasionally needed - and since we never know when - we have to do it all the time.
The one requirements that stands - in most countries around the world - is that entry is contingent on vaccination status. And just a reminder - the events in both Fiji and Cayman - highlights the need for adequate travel insurance including the "newest element" - coverage for quarantine, only [rather than hospital confinement]. Dependent on country - this insurance is sometimes a requirement for entry - in other cases it is voluntary - but always strongly recommended.
Preliminary Fiji Trip report - Fiji, May 2022 - and Covid-19 update
16 people went to Volivoli and Garden Island (Taveuni). Weather was great - except for the day a tropical system went by - hundreds of miles away. Diving was great - expect to see the full collection of pictures in a few weeks on our clubs photo-site.
The trip report remains pending - several people got delayed, processing pictures, and our Photo Gallery Coordinator was among the Covid-19 impacted people in Cayman, see above